Which Soap is Better...Solid or Liquid Soaps?
When it comes to COVID-19, soap plays an essential role as it breaks down the fatty outer layer of the virus enabling the virus to become inactive. So soap is a real essential purchase right now but which is best, liquid or solid?
Having read an article by the Ethical Consumer Magazine called 'washing your hands of bad business' it turns out both do the same job and it's down to personal preference. Recent government messaging doesn't mention the need for liquid or even antibacterial soap (it's the detergent that destroys viruses)
Do bars of soap spread germs? Probably not! Although bacteria may stay on a soap bar between washes there is no evidence that this bacteria infects the next person to use the soap bar. I guess the act of washing with the soap kills those germs too.
If you prefer a hard bar of soap, we stock several great ethical bars at The Refilling Station. These are Friendly Soap (Ethical Consumer best buy) from Yorkshire, Alter/Native also from Yorkshire (Ethical Consumer best buy) and the well-known brand, Faith in Nature.
Liquid soap usually has a large environmental impact (water, plastic, petroleum and damaging to aquatic life). At The Refilling Station, our liquid soap is eco-friendly:
- Made by a small local family company in Yorkshire
- Uses Water from the Yorkshire moors
- The soap doesn't contain Parabens, Chlorine Bleaches, Optical Brightener, Thiazolinones, Sulphites, Methylisothiazolinone (CMIT), Gluten, Alcohol, SLS, ALS, ALES, Formaldehyde or Phosphates therefore is not harmful to aquatic life.
- It doesn't contain Petroleum
- It is Vegan and Cruelty-Free
- Our tanks are refilled when empty and returned to us - no new plastic here!
- We refill a customer's preference of bottle either from their own home or from our 'pre-loved' stash - no more new plastic here!
Regular handwashing with soap and water is best but if you ever find yourself in a situation where you are unable to wash your hands with soap and water, we have a sanitising hand rub by Miniml too. This is 62% alchohol but its water-based so it can be sprayed on the skin and dries super quick. We can fill up your clean bottles for you. No need to buy yet another bottle!